Search This Blog

Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Link Sharing

Past couple of weeks i've seen a couple of links that others may like to know about, or may already know about.

MIDI to Gcode web app:
This link takes you to a web app that converts your MIDI files into gcode, and in my opinion is a lot easier to use than the python program that does the same (mainly because i cant get the python one to work.) sells 3d printer filament!
3 colors in 3mm and 1.75mm.  They do not mention the tolerances of the filament though.  Has anyone tried this?

These two links may be old news to some, but some may find them new and useful.

Sunday, July 14, 2013


New extruder carriage with Lulzbot Budaschnozzle.

Old parts, cast extruder carriage, and wooden X and Y carriages.


Reassembly, no belts installed at this point.  Also the X and Y carriages are just slightly to long, Im hoping a quick trip to the belt sander will fix that issue.

At this time I have the belts installed. I still have to sand a little from the rear carriage, tighten up the set screws on the pulleys.

After a little more time I will run some gcode without the extruder hooked up just to break in the bearings.

Monday, July 8, 2013

XY Changes Incoming

Recently I have been experimenting with higher speed prints, currently I can print reliably around 50-65 mm/s and travel at 125 mm/s.  I want to double that for quick prints, maybe more than double it.  Currently I am running linear ball bearings on the extruder carriage, and brass bushings on the X and Y carriages.

I have designed and printed all new parts for all moving parts, I have also moved to 12mm aluminum linear rod for the moving rods.  The X and Y carriages will be using freon lined linear bearings (I had them) and the  extruder carriage will be using Igus J-glide plastic bearings.  All ball bearings are out of the question due to weight.  Eventually I will upgrade the X and Y carriages to Igus J-Glide as well.

The current carriage with extruder weighs in excess of a pound, counting all other moving parts on the XY cartesian system is probably close to 4 pounds, its heavy.

The new printed carriages and aluminum linear rods should bring me to around a pound.

The only part keeping me from assembly is the tubing connector to attach my Bowden extruder up to it.  Assembly should happen within the next week.

Now for some 3d shots taken from Inventor, and a picture of the printed components.

The X and Y carriages in this pic have stainless 1/4-20 SHCS, when I make my next McMaster order they will be replaced with Nylon set screws.  Also the PLA itself was carefully tapped for the threads, I believe I used 4 perimeters on these.